Thursday, July 5, 2007

Viennese Waltz

I appologize not having posted in a few days. My computer is out of juice, and this is the first free moment I've had to use the public computer in a few days. I've been having a really amazing time and a rough time as well. I'll start with the bad, so I can close with the good. The food has not been agreeing with me too well. I'm not a big fish eater, but everyone in Japan sure is. I have to find a way to eat more. I got a little sick the day after my birthday. But, all is well, I went to the supermarket. I've never been so happy to see bananas and dental floss. The things we take for granted... But, the amazing part has been the music. Yesterday, we rehearsed a Josef Strauss Waltz with the principals of the Vienna Philharmonic. To learn from and to work with these musicians is really quite incredible, a once in a lifetime experience. Not only that, but Riccardo Muti will be conducting our rehearsal for the Schubert Great Symphony this afternoon. I'm about to explode, but I hope I can keep myself together. Also, at dinner last night, I happened to sit with two violinists, a violist, and a cellist. We got to talking about the Schubert Cello Quintet (a piece for 2 vln, vla, and 2 vc), and decided to read it after everyone returned to the hotel. It is possibly my favorite piece of music. (Suggested recordings: Cleveland Quartet with Yo-yo Ma, and Emerson Quartet with Rotropovich) Everyone is so excited to play music, and drop everything to do it. I wish it was like that all the time, but we get busy, and have things to do. This is the musician's vacation.

I had the morning off, so I actually caught a bit of the Red Sox game. Last I checked we were up 12-3 against Tampa Bay. They play the games live, so the start here at 8:00 in the morning, when Boston's at home for a night game. The fates have aligned well to bring me Red Sox even when I'm on the other side of the world. I've been having a lot of fun, aside from the one day I was sick. (Nothing 13 hours of sleep and McDonald's couldn't fix.) The landscape here is amazing. I would put up pictures, but I don't have my computer to do that. The rolling mountains around here are things I've only seen in Zen paintings. I understand the close connection to nature the Japanese culture has always had. I hope all is well in the States.

Quote of the Day: ”Hajima mashite"

No comments: