Monday, July 23, 2007

Ikkinomics





Yesterday, we played our second and final concert for the Rite of Spring, and others. We performed on the outdoor stage in the afternoon. To me, it was amazing for a number of reasons. The bass section of 10 players nailed a notoriously difficult last page of the piece, which requires an intense amount of subdivision, and the rest of the orchestra wasn't too shabby either. Also, before the concert started, it looked like it was going to rain, but the sun ultimately came out and stayed for the afternoon. While we were performing, children were running around in the field, dancing, and rolling down hills. At one point during the Rite, the sun caught the air in such a way that you could see the sun beams coming through the clouds. Bugs were swarming at the edge of the ceiling on the outdoor stage. Something about that moment was really beautiful. It was like something out of Fantasia, or like a ballet of nature (I tried to say that without sounding too, uh...you know what I mean). And after our concert, there was another reception full of free beer (free beer, free beer, feels so good just to type it) delicious food, and we expressed our new found theory of ikkinomics (see quote of the day #1). A few of us ripped apart a couple lobsters and devoured them, delicious. Then, back at the hotel, we had a dance party in my room, which was awesome.

Today, I went on the PMF organized day trip to Otaru. We made our first stop at the Olympic ski jump. We rode a lift to the top of a mountain from which you could see all of Sapporo. (This blog only allows a few pictures per post) It was also a beautiful day to boot. At the top, there was a hiking trail that I followed for as long as time would permit, and it was amazing, that's all I can say. Then, the bus took us to Otaru, which is a very touristy town on the coast of Hokkaido. They are known for their glass factories and their beer, their delicious beer. I think Disney also has stock in this town, because every store had a lot of Disney merchandise. But I was with good people, and good times. It was a very good day today. I got a few gifts. Dad, I found a great mug for you, because I know that's all you really want. This evening, there's a beer festival going on in downtown Sapporo, and I feel compelled to make an appearance. Tomorrow, the international principals are going to be here. I'm playing for Hal in the morning, and at this point, I really wish I had more time to practice at this festival, but what can you do.

Quote of the Day #1: "It's simple ikkinomics, if you're given free beer for 2 hours, you have to make the most of that and ikki all you can!"

Quote of the Day #2: "We're all black on the inside...it's dark in there."

No comments: