Saturday, July 28, 2007

Don't Stop Believing...



Last night, we played our first of four concerts with Andre Boreyko. He's is awesome, and I love playing under him, even if I didn't always enjoy the rehearsals. I also really love conductors that appreciate the bass section. When Muti was here, he was looking at the bass section 80% of the time. Boreyko, too, understands our importance to the ensemble, but also, doesn't neglect the rest of the orchestra. He referred to the cello and bass sections as providing a velvet carpet on which the rest of the orchestra stood. He said this to Hal Robinson, and that's a great compliment. I can't wait for our next performances. This afternoon, we're going to play an outdoor concert, and have our last reception (free beer) here in Sapporo. Tomorrow, we leave Sapporo, and take our show on the road to Nagoya, and Osaka. This could potentially be my last blog post, I'm not sure what the internet availability will be like, so I will take my time now to reflect on the past month.

It's been a wild ride, full of ups and downs, and I wouldn't trade any minute of it for anything. I've worked really hard, played some great music, and learned a lot about this career that I want to be a part of. But I can't deny that it was difficult at times. Staying up late is one thing, but living so close to people for this long can sometimes put a bad taste in your mouth. All I can say is that people grow older, but they don't necessarily grow up. I'm not a negative guy, so, enough of that. We all have a job to do. No one can be happy with themselves unless they feel a purpose in themselves. I'm fortunate because I feel that what I do is one of the most important things. Muti said it well a few weeks ago when he talked about how people from all around the world, like our PMF orchestra, can get together and play music, without saying a word, and strive for one common goal. There is really nothing else in the world like that. But there are many other important things out there being done, things I could never do. All I'm saying is that people can do anything if they put their minds to it, but to find meaning and purpose from it is difficult but beautiful. (The only thing I can think of as more important than bringing people together, especially these days, are mothers all around the world that keep our future generations strong and healthy...you want some wine with that cheese?) This experience was an enriching one. Its difficult to really learn when everything's easy, and a good time. That's what vacations are for. To really bite into life, for better or worse, is to learn and grow. I am a much stronger and more experienced person and musician, and for that, I will always be thankful.

I really do love people. They may not always be good people, but we all must follow our own path, I guess. If we all lived by the same moral conduct and set of rules, wouldn't it be really boring? We are never done growing. We are all just children, trying, failing and succeeding, but I'm extra lucky, because, its a fact, I'm a Goodchild.

Thanks to everyone who's cared (or at least been interested) about my travels to Japan. I will be home soon!

No comments: