Thursday, July 12, 2007

Tokyo Drifters


We returned to Sapporo after spending half a day in Tokyo, and what a day it was. In our last rehearsal with Muti, he imparted some widsom. He said our jobs will be very difficult, but very important. Today, everyone in the world is growing farther apart, cultures feel threatened and defend themselves, sometimes in violent ways. But in music, in particular, this festival, people from all over the world can sit down with one another, not say a word, and say more to each other and reach a level of understanding that is unquestionable. It was a pretty beautiful thing. I wish the world would pay more attention to what's going on instead of trying to change everyone's mind. Our's is a great responsibility.

Since we only had one night in Tokyo, many of us decided to go all out. We started with the reception after the concert at Suntori Hall. The bass section got some great group shots with the principal of Vienna, and Muti. I would post them now, but I need to get copies of them because they're not on my camera. We went to a club in downtown Tokyo (something I don't really do in the States) and we partied our asses off. The subway system in Tokyo puts all others to shame in my experience, by the way. Anyway, we got real crazy. The flutist from Vienna, Gunter (there should be an umlaut over the 'u') came with us. He's a very cool guy, he gave me a cigar, and complimented the bass section. I think Muti liked us too, during the performances of the Schubert, everyone agreed he was looking at the bass section 75% of the time, and diggin' it. I'm not quite sure how I got back to the hotel, but I did. I do remember going to the basement around 3 am and exploring the shrine and gardens at the hotel. All the lights were off, and no one was around, it was very surreal. Around 4, the sun came up so we celebrated the new day with Jack and Coke. (I think I sad before, the time zone position of Japan has to be weird, the sun rises at 4.) The net day, we had to be on the bus at 9, and get back to Sapporo for a rehearsal that afternoon. Whoever decided that was a good idea should re-evaluate their thought processes. I'm playing The Firebird Suite and Mozart 35 "Haffner" with the Sapporo Symphony Orchestra. (The Sapporo guys like my bass) But tonight, I'm playing with the Vienna Phil. woodwind ensemble at Kitara. I'm pretty pumped about that, and a little nervous, but it will be good times. Anyway, I have to change and get ready for tonight, hope everyone is doing well.

Quote of the Day (Yesterday): "I spy...a Japanese person."

Quote of the Day: "Oh yeah, PMF was great, I played concerts, went to bed early everynight, and I'm halfway through the Bible..."

1 comment:

bravo.muti said...

Congratulations!
You and the PMF Orchestra did fantastic performances both in Sapporo and in Tokyo with Maestro Muti.

Thank you very much for your letting us know what Maestro Muti were talking about at the opening ceremony and the rehearsal.

May you enjoy the nice summer and have splendid musical experiences in Sapporo.